Thursday, July 28, 2011

There we go!

Now I'm back into the swing of things! Sweet beans!

It is wet. Everything, everything is wet! The humidity is currently at 94%, and as I lay in my bed I feel like it's been rained on or peed on or just somehow drenched with water. My sheets feel damp, but I promise I haven't peed the bed! It's such an awful feeling to try and fall asleep to... So there's my complaining. I try not to complain about the weather as much as possible, because I love it here and I want to be here. And really, the truth is, most of the time I don't mind the heat or the rain. I'm pretty content. But at times like right now, I just want to complain to someone that my clothes aren't drying, and my towel isn't drying, and my bed feels wet and my face feels oily. Haha. It's funny to read that.

Despite the rain, we went to Gruar and did our ministry under some shelter. It was good. There was one interesting moment worth sharing, but especially worth remembering. I was watching the kids lining up to receive their food, and I noticed a tiny little girl sitting on the ground, pressed up against the wall and being kicked by some of the children as they passed by. I had my camera in my hand, and thought for a moment of grabbing a photo of her... to my eyes it was an interesting image- of this small girl barely visible through the legs of kids older than her, sat on the ground by herself. But I didn't try to photograph her, I just watched her for a minute. Then as if I had snapped my fingers, I thought, "what the heck am I doing? Why don't I just go pick her up?" So I did just that, moving through a mini sea of children to get to her. I asked her name, pulled her up to stand, and lifted her into my arms. She looked surprised at first but then got a cute little shy smile on her face. Mae Mae got a little jealous when she saw me holding another child, but I kissed her and tried to reassure her that it's fine and I love her just the same! I want her to understand that yes, she's so special to me, but I need to pour love on the other kids there as well.

Ate Monz invited me to eat dinner with her family tonight, since she was making spaghetti :) The spaghetti most Filipinos serve is made reeeally sweet, and it's not enjoyable at all for me. I grew up on the tastiest homemade tomato sauce in the whole wide world, and I like it salty- not sweet! Mama's sauce is the best, but Ate Mona's is really good also! It was so nice to taste something familiar to me, it kind of reminded me of home. There isn't much I crave from Canada, not much at all. But it was a real treat to eat some salty spaghetti tonight!

I worked a bit on what I'm going to share on Sunday night, and watched some of One Litre Of Tears with Mark until midnight. Now I'm almost falling asleep as I write this! It's 1:15 and I have an early morning for nutrition day tomorrow.

One more complaint before I go... there are mosquitos everywhere!!! Every time I walk into my bathroom it's like I've disturbed some hive or something, all of a sudden there are ten of them in the air. Crazy!

And also a sweet little something I've just stumbled upon.

One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
— Lewis Carroll

No comments:

Post a Comment