Friday, January 15, 2010

super kids saturday!

There's this dog that hangs out around the corner from our church, and he's there every day. He's always either laying down or wandering around every time I walk by. Honestly, I know it sounds crazy, but my heart breaks for the poor thing. He's so scrawny, he's got sores all over his body, infections around his eyes, and he just looks so miserable. He's hot, and thirsty, and hungry. Yesterday me and my team mate went to buy some cokes and I got a bag of chips and gave some to this poor dog. Probably not the best of ideas, I don't want to encourage him to look to people for food, but I couldn't help myself. He came to super kids today to get some eats which I was very happy about.

Even more important than that, we were about to feed close to 600 hungry kids! The volume of sound in the church is crazy haha. 600 children yelling out bible verses and singing songs. I loved it! There were so many of them, and they loved us! Many of them were pretty shy, hiding their faces from us, but others wanted to touch us and play. When I sat down, there were probably 8 kids all touching my skin! They rubbed my legs, my arms, hands, and one girl kept touching my face. Please try for a moment to understand how odd this felt hahaha. They have this adoration for white skin that I just don't understand. Back home, we all want to have a tan and have dark skin, but here they even use "whitening soap" and walk around with umbrellas to protect themselves from the sun. It's so polar opposite. Here, to have white skin is a sign of wealth, because it means you don't have to labor outdoors. There were a lot of girls who really liked my hair, it was in a french braid and they liked pulling on the tail of it lol. One girl stayed really close to me the whole time, she was about 9 or 10 and she spoke really good english, she was sort of a translator for the kids around who wanted to ask me questions. They asked about my family, my name, (everyone asks "whats your name" in this cute accent), how old I am, where I live, who my siblings are, where's my mom, etc. I love these kids, oh man, they are so incredibly adorable. The feeding time was a little bit stressful haha. There was so many kids! And the heat was hard to handle. They would ask for "sabaw" which is the chicken broth that we poured over their rice. So I had all these kids yelling Sabaw, sabaw! at the same time! Haha it was crazy. I love it though. What an amazing experience. A lot of them are street kids from squatter villages nearby, so you know you are giving some of them their only full meal for who knows how long. It's a really strange feeling. Good though.

Walking down the street is also a weird feeling. I'm really nothing special, in my eyes, and at home. But here, I just walk down the road to get some bread (sooo yummy), and I get stared at. People wave at me from across the street, and yell hello as they ride by on their trikes. Sometimes little kids point and ask their moms and dads about us lol. It's funny. I've never experienced this before and it feels odd.

Well it's 1:42 and my back is getting sore sitting in this little internet cafe. It's been a long day already, feeding and playing with all the kids, they are big fans of hanging off of me haha. Don't ask me why, I'm as tall as most of them lol.

God bless you all, much love.

-angela.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ang...enjoying your writing and updates. Keep them coming. btw, must be nice for you not to be the shortest! Miss and love you. Thinking of you often. Have searched out some cuisine from the Philippines and there are a few grocery stores in Edm. that I can get the ingredients. Plan to eat what you might be once in a while while you are there. My way of staying in touch too...obviously through food. Love you...mom

    January 17, 2010 1:23 PM

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey angela kamusta? im glad that you are enjoying yourself in cainta,rizal im so jealous of u. i missed my country! it's been a while since i haven't been home in the philippines. i missed alot of things there . im not from cainta, but my province is in laguna 2 1/2 hours away from manila. it's nice to read all the things that u have been doin there. so, does the kids teaching u a lot of tagalogs? i hope when u come back here (which is u have lots of time to learn it) me and teo can talk to u in tagalog. it's too bad that we didn't see each other when u left , for sure u know i was in mexico it was great vacation it's like im in the philippines too except they don't speak tagalog.
    well work is the same nothing really exciting goin on, don't worry u'r not missing anything
    well "ingat ka dyan"(it means take care) god bless you

    ReplyDelete